Apple Strudel is comfort food at its best and this vegan strudel with organic dried figs is to die for.
This warming apple strudel is vegan comfort food at its best. If you love pastry and fruit together then this served warm is probably going to become a firm favourite.
If you can make your own vegan pastry then add this into the recipe or for a convenient and fast option use shop bought sheets.
The walnuts and sunflower seeds add a nutritional kick and protein hit to each portion so you don’t have to be riddled with guilt after each slice.
Just one 28g serving of walnuts is high in essential fatty acids, manganese and copper. Sunflower Seeds are high in Thiamin (B1), Folate, Vitamin E, Copper and a source of Niacin (B3), Vitamin (B6), Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Zinc and Selenium (per 30g serving)
This recipe is perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon.
- 1 Roll of vegan puff pastry
- 4 Medium apples
- 4 Forest Whole Food’s Organic Dried Figs
- 1 tbsp Agave syrup
- ½ tbsp Dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Toasted pine nuts
- 2 tbsp Forest Whole Food’s Organic Walnuts and Organic Sunflower Seeds
- 1 tsp Forest Whole Food’s Organic Ceylon Cinnamon
- ½ Lemon, juiced
- 1 slice of bread
- ¼ Cup oat milk (to soak the bread)
- 1 Tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Peel, core and thinly slice the apples, then move them into a medium-sized bowl
- Soak the figs in hot water for a couple of minutes. Remove them from the water, chop them into small pieces and move them into the bowl.
- Soak 1 slice of bread in the oat milk. Chop it into small pieces and move into the bowl.
- Add the juice and the zest of 1/2 lemon. Add the pine nuts, the seeds, the cinnamon, the agave syrup and the brown sugar. Mix everything until well combined.
- Arrange the apple filling into a pile along the length of the pastry. Fold the pastry lengthwise around the filling in order to enclose it. Seal the edges of pastry using your fingers and brush with some agave syrup.
- Bake for 30/40 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.